Thursday, July 31, 2008

China Week

This week the Travel Channel is doing a special called "China Week."
We have all enjoyed watching the specials on travel and food.
To be very honest, China is my most favorite place in the world. I would pack up everything and move there today (if Greg would let me,lol).
But, there was something I noticed about HG watching the shows. She was completely glued to the TV. She did not move (which is almost unheard of). She focused all her attention on the shows.
With each new scene she would say, "OH Mommy, I want to go there! Next time, we go there! Can we go right now?"
It was precious to see her enjoy her homeland, but also a big eye opener for me. We desire HG to LOVE the Chinese culture! We are proud of her heritage. But, this has made me realize that we are not doing enough to surround her with Chinese influences. If anyone has any ideas of things we can do, please leave us a comment. Thanks in advance!


Wednesday night, HG and I were waiting on Greg to finish up at church. We decided to take some fun and silly pictures. So, that is what follows!

I often call HG my "Bundle of Joy." That perfectly describes her! She is full of joy and has brought so much to our family!


5 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Yall are so precious, Stephanie!
That is so neat how HG was mesmerized of the show about China! Have yall ever been to the New Year Festival downtown? It is great, of course that won't be until next year. There are some great resources at the teacher supply/book stores in teaching units on China...even crafts and picture books you could show HG. I have never seen the Big Bird in China DVD but it might be worth getting, too.
Just some thoughts...I am sure there are others with some AWESOME ideas...I need them too! ;)
Oh, we have a BIG hardback picture book of China that we keep on our fireplace...it is well loved!

MortonFamily said...

HELLO MY LONG LOST FRIEND!!! It hasn't been as long as it could have been if we hadn't met at Gina Forshee's shop getting our nails done!!!! I was so excited to see you there!! Your blog has sucked me in! I forced myself to stop reading it so I could get dressed for a doctor's appointment, but I will be back to read more!!! Your girls are beautiful!!! I will say a prayer for you that SH will come home soon! I LOVE YOU! Melinda Cochran Morton

Pandamonium Mom said...

I need ideas too so I'm going to watch for your comments on this one. We have (well borrowed 4 months ago and haven't yet given back - oops, put that on "things to do list") the Big Bird in China video..Hannah really likes it, but it is older - more traditional china than modern-day china. Which is fine..just something to be aware of. Also, I have a feeling that HG will pick up a lot when you go to China. Hannah has become even more interested in China since our trip this spring.

Desiree' said...

Hope was the same way, she even recognized some of the places in Xian. We are looking for mandarin lessons for her to reconnect. (she still remembers some)
Great seeing pictures of ya'll. Miss "talking" to you.

Kristy said...

I know what you mean about China - our family is SO pumped about the Olympics, to catch any glimpse of what we experienced when we were there......
I am looking into Mandarin lessons for all 4 of our kiddo's (and Mark and I too)......(did I spell Mandarin correct.....oh boy am I in need of some help!!!!)
We also have a wonderful Chinese family in our church that we're getting to know better - I'm excited to glean from them about their rich culture.
Blessings to you, sweet friend!