Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Special Mommies"

I have always known that "THE QUESTIONS" were going to be asked by my little one.
I had NO idea they would be at the age of 3!
We have always been honest and factual with HG about her foster family and China.
We want her to be proud of her heritage and culture. To embrace who she is!
When HG asked Greg if he was Chinese, he stated, "In my heart I am Chinese."
I thought that was a great answer!
Well, tonight I received multiple questions and comments.
Here is our conversation:
HG, "When I was in China, I not have anybody. I not have Daddy or NaNa or PaPa or Maggie or Allie. I all by myself in your tummy in China!"
Mommy (feeling a little surprised),"Well, Baby, you were not in my tummy."
HG, "I not in your tummy. Who's tummy I in?"
Mommy, "You were in another woman's tummy."
HG, "What her name?"
Mommy, "I don't know her name. I wish I did. But, I do know that she loved you."
HG, "You think her name is Sue?"
Mommy, "I don't know ... (interrupted by the curious one)
HG, "I call her Sue. OK! I was in China all by myself except for my SPECIAL MOMMIES. I was in my SPECIAL MOMMY'S belly and my head popped out and then my body (WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?!?!?!). And you prayed to Jesus to have a baby. I called you on the phone. And you came and got me. But, in China I was all by myself...except for SPECIAL MOMMIES."
Mommy,"Baby, I know that you were not all by yourself. I know that Jesus was with you the whole time!"
HG,"How did she get me in her tummy?"
Mommy, "God put you there."
HG, "You think Jesus was with me when I in her tummy."
Mommy,"Yes...(interruption)
HG, "You think Jesus held me? You think He rocked me and hugged me close to His heart when I born?"
Mommy, "Yes, I think He did. You mean a lot to Him. So, He took care of you."
HG,"I want to open Christmas presents!"
WHEW!
I'm glad we made it through that one!
I hope I have more wisdom with the next ones!!
I know part of it comes from us adopting Sarah Hope. We have talked about her being in China for Christmas and sending her gifts.
I am thankful that she referred to her Birth Mother and Foster Mother as "SPECIAL MOMMIES." Because, that is what they are!!! They are so special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would give anything for HG to meet and know her Birth Mother! I know, deep in my soul, that she loved HG. You may think that is crazy. But, I do know that! She took special care and extra effort to make sure HG was in a safe, warm, healing place. She could have easily been caught and imprisoned. But, she cared enough to make sure HG was in the right place... the right bed! I pray that Jesus comforts her and gives her peace about the decision she made.

4 comments:

Ohilda said...

Amazing how their little minds think, huh? We called our birth moms here, "special ladies" too!

Have a merry Christmas.

Ohilda

Tammy said...

It sounds like you handled it beautifully! I only hope I do so well when Madi begins to ask questions.

Pandamonium Mom said...

wow - what a precious conversation. I think you and HG both did well! When I was adopting Sadie, it brought lots of questions from Hannah too. She started looking for Asian (or Hispanic..hey, to her it was black hair) women at the store, etc. and asking (sometimes loudly) "is that my BIRTHMOM?".

Thanks for your sweet e-mail!
DeEtte

Kristy said...

This is beyond precious.
What a smart little cookie you have there!
Blessings ~